When it comes to beauty advice, the only person I trust is none other than my mom. With so many products on the market it can be overwhelming to find things that work for you. Sometimes the old-fashioned and tested way is the best way. Over the years she has taught me so much about taking care of myself. From glowing skin to silky hair, whiter teeth and fewer wrinkles, I have pulled together my favorite beauty remedies that my mom passed down to me.
Dry BrushingDry brushing has been amazing for my skin. I remember growing up watching my mom use a brush every time before she got in the shower. Dry Brushing has been around for centuries and used by many cultures around the world. Not only it is amazing to shed off dead skin, it has incredible health benefits. Our skin is the largest organ which protects us from toxic chemicals, damaging sunlight and extreme temperatures. Not only it acts as a shield but it also detoxifies our bodies through our sweat glands. It also aids in digestion, circulation and waste removal.
Benefits Of Dry Brushing:
- Baby Soft Skin: Dry Brushing removes dead skin cells while leaving skin soft and smooth
- Lymphatic Support: This is one of the main reasons why I started Dry Brushing. After a health scare a couple of years ago I changed my lifestyle into a healthy one. My mom recommended this practice to me and I haven't looked back since. I cannot stress enough how important it is to stimulate your lymphatic system and dry brushing does just that. The lymphatic system is a vital part of our immune system. It is a network of tissues and glands that help transport metabolic waste out of our bodies. If you find yourself having frequent colds, skin breakouts, fatigue or mood swings it might be because your lymphatic system is out of balance. Dry Brushing is a great way to stimulate the lymphatic system and make the detoxifying process easier.
- Energy: I recommend using this technique in the morning since it is known to give the body a burst of energy and you don't really want that before bed.
- Tighter Skin: In addition to getting rid of dead skin cells, Dry Brushing also breaks down cellulite (say what!) . The release of toxins and increase of blood flow will firm the skin.
Pamper YourselfLife is hectic. It's very hard to carve out time for yourself especially when you have children. One thing that my mom always encouraged me to do was to take care of my skin. I am guilty of not wearing sunscreen when I was younger. I actually loved laying out in the sun and getting as dark as I possibly could. As I got older so did my skin. It was screaming for help. Changing the way I ate definitely helped. Dairy and fatty foods were a big culprit for me. Only in the past few years I really paid attention to my mom's recommendations. In addition to eating healthy and working out, I take time every month to get a facial. I never leave the house without sunscreen. Even though sunscreen is essential to protect against sun damage, some of them can cause more harm than good. When choosing a sunscreen opt for something with more natural ingredients. The one I use is a tinted sunscreen which I absolutely love. It has great coverage and it will protect your skin from the sun. You can buy it here www.w3llpeople.com Castor oil is very inexpensive. I apply it all over my hair twice a week and leave it on all night. In the morning, I apply some baking soda to break down the oil before I shampoo it in the shower. Make sure you wash your hair twice so you don't have any oil residue left or your hair will feel dull and flat when you dry it. Sometimes when I miss my long hair I wear clip-in hair extensions. They do not damage your hair and are very easy to apply. Slip.
Oil PullingOil pulling has been around for generations. This is by far one of my favorite DIY home remedies. Thank you mom. If you've never heard of oil pulling before, it is an ancient remedy. It has amazing benefits and you can do it from the comfort of your home. For someone who hates going to the dentist I have been at a dentist office more than I can count. Growing up in Europe we didn't have fluoride in our water therefore I had to deal with many cavities. I've been practicing oil pulling for about two years now and I haven't had one cavity since. That is not the only benefit of oil pulling. Oil pulling is known to:
- Reduce Inflammation
- Reduce bad breath
- Whiter teeth
- Kill harmful bacteria in the mouth
- Improve gum health
- Prevent heart disease ( Say what!)